Saturday, 19 July 2014
We simply had to show off our coconut oil shampoo.
It's a shampoo that will help cleanse, nourish and moisturise hair...and naturally.
No horrid foaming chemicals either. We include castor oil and that does just the job.
Loaves available too!
Wednesday, 16 July 2014
We are now at Long Sutton Barns, PE12 9AQ.
Lots of high quality products here.
Stuff for the kids to do.
Craft Fayres ... oh, booking being taken for November 1 & 2 and December 6 & 7.
Events outside such as a Border Collie event. Ideal outside space for your own event!
Spinning and wood crafts
My nephew helped me set up our beautifully painted (and lined with wallpaper backing), shabby chic 6 shelf bookcase and so many people were in and out...
On display are lots of lovely creamy soaps, buttery nail care, gardener's soap and something for men and teenagers, our foaming shampoo and not forgetting our natural pet care...
See you there!
Wednesday, 2 July 2014
We'd love it if you could spare 5 minutes to take our survey about Grumpy Joe's Pet Emporium's natural remedies for Cat, Dog and Equine.
Only 10 lovely furball questions!
Just click away here...
And purrs from Grumps...
Saturday, 21 June 2014
Another excellent point in Craftseller is to give a free gift as everyone loves a little something extra.
We happily add a natural rose soap.
(subject to availability)
Ingredients can change the colour. For example, adding neem oil gives the soap a darker shade. Neem oil is beneficial for skin complaints too.
Our blend of olive oil, goats milk and coconut oil gives the soap a lighter shade.
And it's full of ingredients that ensure skin is moisturised.
Our current shampoo has neem oil too. Neem oil is said to help thinning hair, and with coconut oil, by massage into the scalp and leaving for 5 to 10 mins, hair follicles will absorb the nutrients whilst stimulating blood flow.
How can you use our 25g rose soap or shampoo?
- Event organiser or party organiser. (someone local noticed them at the till point and is considering these as corporate gifts. Lucky us that she visited the shop that day.)
- Our roses make a lovely natural wedding favour. And it beats almond sweeties. It's cost-effective too.
- What about a guest house or holiday cottage? Imagine British handmade soaps and shampoo ... and natural too. Bet the Americans would love this too.
- Nestled inside an organza bag with a sew little tag would make a lovely Christmas cracker gift.
- Will the kids made gift bags or made boxes pretty for Gran and Grandad this year? Our soaps would make a wonderful addition, especially as pure soaps would have been similar to those used when they were a nipper!
Are they expensive?
All of these can be handmade in batches of fifteen but samples are available.
A single 15g soap or shampoo is £1.80 with free postage.
15 No. 25g Goats milk soap would £5.80 (@ June 2014)
100 No. 25g Goats milk soap would be £22.80 (@ June 2014)
Shampoo and goats milk soap with neem oil would be a little more.
Let's face it, the weather has not been its best - until lately, that is.
But I'm still having baths!
And rather than lathering myself in body lotion, I relax in a tub of hot water and let the butters and oil work their magic on my skin.
We discovered these go down a treat as small gifts, especially at Christmas.
Mummy would love them ... especially with a tag and hand stamped bag by the children.
Our 45g bars are wrapped in foil.
And the wraps are designed according to the occasion.
|With our new name|
Christine at the Healing House had young girls test these and were very popular!
So as seen above we updated the wrap to appeal to teenagers.
So as seen above we updated the wrap to appeal to teenagers.
|For men who look after there skin|
|An assortment of scent is available|
|Our first wrap|
Men out there: You know, you can dip the entire bar into hot water and use as sensual massage skincare!
|Your lady would love natural skin care|
|A gift for Mum|
|Kids can make there own tag and tie around the bar|
|Personalised hand stamping from the kids|
The bath bar bares all!
|Made with a chocolate mould|
Like all businesses, you find out where and when things sell the best.
There are not an online seller but I think due to the carriage costs.
Although hubby assures me we can send large letter as long as protected.
Me? Happier to sell in store.
Where do your gifts sell the best?
So - if looking for top up gifts this Christmas ... look no further...
Lesley & Ray
Friday, 20 June 2014
Daily Mail reports that Bob Martin are removing the following product from sale.
Say no to chemical products for our pets.
Earlier this month I published a post about Bob Martin's carpet shake n vac and the death of an innocent kitty. I threw our Shake n Vac away but read the warnings again beforehand - This product that does not warn that animals can die.
I wrote to Bob Martin and they replied:
"Hi Lesley, we want to reassure you that our products are safe to use if applied correctly, however in some rare cases animals may experience side effects – which is something all manufacturers of these types of products and medicines face. We’re aware of the incidence you have sent over, and we are investigating this fully. We have spoken to the family involved and will be conducting tests on the product they used, as well as speaking to the cat’s vet. We were distressed to read about this incident and are taking our investigation very seriously.
With this product, the Home Flea Kill Powder, it is essential this product is not applied directly to animals and that unprotected persons and animals should be kept away from treated areas until any product residue has been removed – this means very thorough vacuuming and being very careful about using this product on pet bedding. The animals should not ingest any of the product.
Every licensed flea product that we sell, including the Home Flea Kill powder, has been tested, regulated and approved to the strict standards of the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (in the case of medicines) or the HSE (as in this case with Home Flea Kill powder). All medicines undergo stringent scientific tests just like human medications and must pass these tests in order to be sold. In rare cases, as with all medications, side effects can happen. All possible serious adverse reactions (SARs) are reported to the authorities. Any vet that attends an animal that has suffered a SAR from a medicine is obliged to report the event to the regulator for an investigation to take place. Similarly, as Approval Notice Holders, we have a legal obligation to record and report adverse events with biocides to the HSE. We work closely with pet owners, vets and the authorities to investigate any occurrence that is brought to our attention. Every licensed flea product that we sell, including the Home Flea Kill powder, has been tested, regulated and approved to the strict standards. If your pets are experiencing a reaction, please contact your vet immediately.
Part of the message would not paste but basically says everything gets tested. The thing is, we read, we trust. It has not worked.
|My furball -- the real life Grumpy Joe.|
We are anti chemicals for our pets and handmake and sell Natural Cat Flea Balm, Natural Dog Flea Balm and Vegan Soothing Balm, as well as old-fashioned Dog Shampoo. We warn owners that the dog flea balm contains essential oils and should not be used on cats. We highlight it in our listing and when someone orders, I confirm again. You have to, or it causes heartache. Naturally a customer must listen and work but those warnings too.
We offer a mix 'n' match of 3 balms with free postage.
What do you use or prefer?
Sunday, 15 June 2014
Lots of people begin crafting as a hobby ... then take the leap and transform it into a business.
We are artisans, elite in our craft.
Don't you think?
Takes a while to gain the confidence.
And to master the rights and change the wrongs.
To even learn to make photos look professional.
To create tip top literature to promote your business.
To learn where to reduce costs and do-it-alone (online shops, a blog, designing and printing business cards, are craft fayres paying)
To understand that it is bloody hard if you have a family, work full time and have a crafting business alone.
One way to learn is to read Craftseller
|Craftseller - for the professional crafter|
You can try 5 issues for £5 ... we now subscribe.
What does Craftseller contain, you ask?
- Blog about those who sell but are full time Mum's, house to run and who craft and sell.
- Success comparisons between craft fayres, online selling, website.
- Fantastic competitions.
- Making News: a chance for you to show off
- Suggestions for making a variety of items (July issue features cufflinks, sweet kids hats, herb plants and box, trendy crochet cover-up, food), all with material you need, costs, instructions and selling price)
- Expert advice.
- The big craft fayres
- Free pretty papers.
- Craft courses.
- Up-cycled crafts.
Soap n Things and Grumpy Joe's Pet Emporium is learning ... our business has changed greatly in the last 12 months. So far we have identified:
- What works and what doesn't with products. (bath bombs online but in a shop at Christmas they sell).
- Learning to create better photos (still learning but they are better!).
- 45g bath melts are a Christmas product.
- Professional looking product wraps. Thanks to the Healing House we learnt that teenagers like our bath melts so we updated the wrap to show a young person on the wrap.
- Investing in a decent printer (and finding card with the correct grain to go through it!)
- Buying Serif Page Plus to create wraps, business cards, flyers. Look on Amazon. Ours cost £10.
- Push yourself on social media (has helped businesses find us and we have been approached to become stockists)
- That January to April is our quiet time (and it happens to all businesses). May to October becomes busy. November and December is hectic - hard with a day job.
- In a store? Get everything ready in plenty of time. Have a Christmas cut off that you are willing to make and drop off more stock. Get the bulk in store in plenty of time. If additional stock is asked for a week before Christmas, decide whether it will sell.
- Men make last minute Christmas gift dashes - our gift bags with skincare sold like hot cakes. Our tags has saucy messages.
- Change stock - this year the gift bags will differ. Keep up with a new range.
- Understand a product sometimes take a while to kick off. Give it time. Also it may be a seasonal seller.
- Customer service - keep it hot. Polite messages and using the customer's name, thanking them for their online purchase.
- There'll always be a customer unhappy despite everything you do - just be as polite as possible and try to solve the issue.
- Everyone loves a free gift ... it also gives a customer the opportunity to try a new product.
- Keep costs down with a website. Try online stores eBay, Etsy, Folksy and add the store to your blog home page.
- Just really work on keeping costs down.
- Keep paperwork update - a day a month. Don't forget you have tax to pay!
- Think professional.
- Don't forget to follow any regulations with your products, apply batch numbers, ingredients if applicable.
- Have a break. We completely close at Christmas through to the New Year. The online shops stay open and we despatch the odd order. Everything else stops...
We'd love to hear about your experiences...
So many fantastic stalls, food and fun!
Look out for the double marquee for The Cats Pyjamas and you'll find..
Soap n things with Grumpy Joe's Pet Emporium.
We'd love to see you at this FREE Summer event.
Don't forget ... look out for the Cat's Pyjamas Emporium marquee
Not only is the store coming to the Five Bells, but the festival will have lots of fun for all ages.
Licenced bar too!
KLFM radio is there!
Tuesday, 10 June 2014
Just a reminder about a BIG event of family fun, entertainment, artisans, food and licenced bar.
Will you be there?
Soap n Things with Grumpy Joe's Pet Emporium will be with the store The Cats Pyjamas...
A selection of what is on offer...
|Husky's Vintage Ices|
I love things vintage ... just look at the car!
|Martin Clarkson wooden wonders|
|£3 wristband - come back as many times as you wish!|
|Am wishing I was a child!|
Hope to see you there!
Wednesday, 4 June 2014
Does Your Cat or Dog already have fleas?
|Apply twice a day.|
As well as the neck, apply beneath the neck and base of tail.
95% of fleas will nest in carpets.
They will jump back on to your pet so carpet fleas need to go!.
It is advisable to treat your home too (eg carpets) to kill fleas nesting.
Use a safe and pet friendly carpet remedy.
If using our flea remedy the fleas will die but you need to kill them in carpets too.
Kitty and doggy will hate the itching fleas as they nibble into skin.
Please be advised to research into chemical based carpet household treatments that contain active ingredients.
Some treatments are toxic to cats and dogs.
Our flea balms are safe and natural.
Saturday, 31 May 2014
Our natural Goats Milk Soap loaves are back online!
We sold so many before Christmas and have been busy handmaking our traditional soap .... now they are ready!
|Soap n Things natural soap with neem oil|
We are also updating our wraps with our new name Soap n Things. Have you had to change your business name because your products have sold? Our licence is under Bath Bomb Creations which is now the group name...
Back to our creamy, lathering soap...
It's an age old recipe, making every bit unique and special in our bid to say goodbye to horrid chemical, mass produced soaps that last five minutes.
Pure soap was good enough for our Nan and Grandad so it's good enough for the modern man, woman and kids of today!
|Goats milk soap - ok, it has the old wrap!|
What type of soap do you use as a part of your skincare routine?
Friday, 30 May 2014
This is not a happy tale so do not read further if you think it may upset you.
Found on Facebook 29 May 2014
Copied from post:
I panicked as once a year we spray our home and use the shake and vac on our two kitties. I'd sprinkled it the day before and we left it overnight.
I telephoned the vet who confirmed:
- if ingested it can kill
- a cat can get onto their fur or paws and lick off - that's bad
- bathe your cat asap
- if drooling, foaming, lots diarrhea, vomiting, go to the vet immediately.
Hubby had hoovered the shake n vac off and we bathed both kitties that night. They are fine and all Bob Martin flea stuff was binned.
On the canister it gives a warning but DOES NOT say that if a cat ingests it can kill. Ok, sprinkle it and keep the cats out the way but it says put onto bedding. Come on Bob Martin, this isn't the first time your products have killed...
Grumpy Joe's Pet Emporium does NOT use Permethrin in its products. Please ensure you read about this active ingredient and keep our pets safe. This ingredient can be found in dog flea spot on and if your dog lives with your cat, can be fatal for the cat too.
Thank you Paddons Vet in Wisbech for your help and advice, and RIP to kitty who now runs healthily at Rainbow Bridge. Breaks my heart.
Please sign this petition by International Cat Care to stop Permethrin being used.
Thursday, 29 May 2014
The blue bottle gives a truly old-fashioned touch with the vintage label.
Our Gentlemen's Club Aftershave Salve would be well-received as a unique Father's Day gift.
Tell us, what sort of gift would you be looking for as a present for Dad, Grandad or an Uncle?
|Natural aftershave salve|
The bottle is made with polyethylene teraphtalate and gives a glass appearance.
And it is recycable!
Our salve is blended with tea tree, aloe vera, witch hazel, vegetable glycerin and vitamin E.
It's soothes aftershave cuts and cleanses the skin too.
Our postage offer is buy up to 6 for the same postage.
We've not forgotten teenagers and women either and on eBay is something for you too.
I use as a cleanser and really lifts the dirt. It being natural makes me feel better about using too.